You can make this up ahead of time, except for the apple. You want to julienne your apple right before you are ready to add dressing and serve.
- 1/2 cup minced shallots (about 3)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. walnut or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. Splenda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups julienned apple (Gala or Granny Smith)
- 2 cups very thinly sliced fennel bulbs
- 1 Tbsp. thinly sliced red onion
- 2 Tbsp. goat cheese, crumbled
- Chives, finely minced
Make your dressing first by combining the first 7 ingredients and mixing well. Thinly slice your fennel and red onion. Actually, I recommend VERY thinly slicing it. I’ve read references to “shaved fennel” before. Now I understand why they talk about it that way. Julienne your apples, leaving the skin on for color. You could chunk them if you prefer, but I think it would be hard to construct the perfect bite if you do., and Lord knows that’s important! We love getting the perfect bite.
Anyway, lightly toss together the apple, fennel, red onion with the dressing. Place the salad into whatever you’re serving it in. Add the goat cheese crumbles on top. Garnish with the finely minced chives.