Cool, slightly sweet, crunchy, nutritious, flavorful. Cousin Becky has made the traditional Chinese cabbage salad with ramen noodles for years, but when we went for dinner recently, she had changed it up to eliminate those needless carbs and increase the flavor profile. So much better than the original, it calls for a large quantity of browned in butter almonds and sesame seeds.
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1 head Napa cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 to 1 cup sliced almonds (or to your taste)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sesame seeds (also to taste)
- 1/2 cup Splenda (or sugar)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat until the Splenda has dissolved into the liquid. Allow it to cool.
For the crunchy stuff, in a skillet melt the butter, then brown the sesame seeds and almonds. Do not overcook.
Combine the cabbage, green onions, sesame seeds and almonds. Mix well. Cover with dressing and toss to mix about 30 minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply