Looking for a salad that is delightfully different? This crunchy, fresh, protein-rich offering combines a cruciferous vegetable, onion (so good for you!), the dense nutrition of edamame, and a few nuts for a slightly salty surprise.
- 1 10 oz. package shelled edamame, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup red onion
- PLUS the dressing (recipe below) AND 1 cup cashews (for garnish)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- 1 cup ranch dressing (I actually used Jalapeno Ranch dressing)
- 1 cup cashews (or you could substitute salted peanuts, walnuts or pecans)
Put the edamame in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain.
Chop your cauliflower (or use the slicer dicer, as I did). Same with your onion. You want it finely diced.
Gently mix the ingredients together.
Mix the dressing together. Toss the salad with the dressing. Top with the cashews.
I love edamame and it’s good for you. (In case you don’t know — they’re soybeans!) I normally eat them in the pods with just a little kosher salt, scraping out the seeds with my teeth (sounds primitive, huh?), discarding the pods. They also sell it shelled, however, and I was really curious about whether I could devise a recipe to use it that way. Success!
Jackie Briggs says
Will have to try this. Sounds great.
Carin Eisenhauer says
Add shredded chick and it’s a meal!