My friend Deloris is a wonderful cook. The only problem with her bringing over something she’s made is that you’re left wanting more and pinning her down on a recipe is even more difficult than getting me to cough one up. She shared this pasta salad this weekend and you can wing it using some guidance she provided.
- Elbow macaroni (we use Dreamfield’s, which is low carb)
- Thinly sliced deli ham, chopped
- Celery, diced
- Eggs, hard-boiled, then chopped
- Red pepper, diced
- Pickles, diced (You can use either dill or sweet pickles. Mt. Olive brand makes sweet gherkins that are sugar-free)
- Pickle juice (from the jar from which you got the pickles, silly) — just a splash
- Minced chives and a slice hard-boiled egg for garnish
Directions: Deloris tells me that she started by boiling her ham along with the pasta in the pasta water. That got some of the excess salt out of ham. She drained her pasta and ham, then added the celery, red pepper, chopped egg, and diced pickles and stirred well. Next, she added her mayo, followed by a splash of pickle juice, and kept adjusting quantities of the various ingredients a bit until she reached the desired result. It was really, really good.