“School’s out for summer!” The song plays in my mind loudly when June arrives. My childhood voice tells me “It’s time to play!” (Unfortunately, my adult voice reminds me that I don’t have the summer off. Darn!) It’s a busy month, with lots of trips and deadlines. I keep it all straight with the calendar I draw on the inside of my pantry door. I painted the pantry door with chalkboard paint and I use markers from ChalkInk.com. It’s always fun to make, and it lets everyone in the household see what’s on the schedule.
June ushers in:
- Farmers Markets! Nothing better than buying just-picked produce from your local growers.
- Fresh Okra. Make some Grilled Okrasicles!
- Zucchini and Yellow Squash — and the blossoms from the squash plants. Try Fried Squash Blossoms!
- Peppers in every color of the rainbow. Try the Tri-Color Peppers with Goat Cheese.Tomatoes! There is nothing better than sliced fresh tomatoes. Go gorgeous with the Stacked Tomato Salad. Or go whimsical with…
- Tomato Tunes One of our family favorites is Tomato Addiction.
- Tomato Tizzies. Wonderful for parties or just to snack on.
- Watermelon radishes! Look for them at your local market.
- Beets! Make yourself a Beet Salad with Goat Cheese.
- Fresh Herbs! Remember the herb garden we planted in April or May? My, how it’s grown! I so love having them right outside the door.
Leave a Reply